2009 Blue light, white flags

Blue light, white flags is an electronic study, from the end of the Music from the worm farm project. It combines elements of two songs that I used to make ensemble pieces: Der Abschied from Das Lied von der Erde by Mahler and Hejira from the album of the same name by Joni Mitchell. This piece uses a version of the rhythm guitar from Hejira which has been sculpted down using data from the lab. From the Mahler it takes the instrumentation and the changes in tempo.


"Die liebe Erde allüberall
Blüht auf im Lenz und grünt aufs neu!
Allüberall und ewig
Blauen licht die Fernen!
Ewig... ewig..."
Gustav Mahler

"We're only particles of change, I know I know,
Orbiting around the sun.
But how can I have that point of view
When I'm always bound and tied to someone?
White flags of winter chimneys
Waving truce against the moon
In the mirrors of a modern bank
From the window of a hotel room."
Joni Mitchell