Early works 1984-1993

Passing 1993
For 6 players
(Manchester University students)

Break, break, break
For 10 players 1990
The Esbjerg Ensemble

Winner of the Sonorities Young Composer's competition

Break, break, break,
On thy cold grey stones, O Sea!
And I would that my tongue could utter
The thoughts that arise in me.
Tennyson


Still water tread
Nottingham University students
Still water tread MIDI
Voice, 2 violins, cello 1985

Who are you to unsettle me?
beneath this layer of water
queer white arms
dead things, leftovers pale in my bath

Who are you
under the thin layers
that curl and clasp at my throat?
Tonight you were two arching birds
wild geese visiting my roof
my roof
learning and yearning
into thickening night

You slip back and I hear your
honking strange heavy call

my limbs linking to your voice.
Jennifer J Rankin


And darkness
Voice and string quartet MIDI version

And darkness
Nothing but darkness,
or almost so.
At that fringe near the light
such a little way
it seems
I can't think clearly there
Guillevic from 'Carnac'